Saturday, February 12, 2011

Oh Depression Glass:)

Just A little back ground on a major hobby of mine...


Depression glass is clear or colored translucent glassware that was distributed free, or at low cost, in the United States around the time of the Great Depression
The Quaker Oats Company, and other food manufacturers and distributors, put a piece of glassware in boxes of food, as an incentive to purchase. 
Movie theaters and businesses would hand out a piece simply for coming in the door.
Most of this glassware was made in the central and mid-west United States, where access to raw materials and power made manufacturing inexpensive in the first half of the twentieth century.
 More than twenty manufacturers made more than 100 patterns, and entire dinner sets were made in some patterns.
 Common colors are clear (crystal), pink, pale blue, green, and amber. 
Less common colors include yellow (canary), ultra marine, jadeite (opaque pale green), delphite (opaque pale blue), cobalt blue, red (ruby & royal ruby), black, amethyst, monax, and white (milk glass).
Although of marginal quality, Depression glass has been highly collectible since the 1960s. 
Due to its popularity as a collectible, Depression glass is becoming more scarce on the open market.
 Scarce pieces may sell for several hundred dollars.
 Some manufacturers continued to make popular patterns after World War II, or introduced similar patterns, which are also collectible. 
Popular and expensive patterns and pieces have been reproduced, and reproductions are still being made.


My Collection

I have been collecting depression glass for nearly five years now. 
My collection started with a green cake plate, my dad bought me at Jill's antique's, in Brockport, NY. (one of my favorite little stops to search for treasures:)


In 2009 Dave and I bought our first home. 
That's when my interest grew pretty rapidly because I was able to have space to collect. 
We live in a 1950's cape cod that has beautiful built-ins threw out. 
This gives me plenty of space to display depression glass and other antiques.
:)
I was given a 1920's china cabinet for Christmas the same year we moved in, from my hubby.
This also gives me space!!!
Now, I have so much glass I could set tables at a decent sized restaurant!!!
But this will not stop me from collecting more!




As you can see by my pictures above, I really just collect all the colors and most patterns. 
I just love color in general, and I think different colored glass together looks outstanding
Why collect just one color or pattern? 
It' so much more fun to shop and search when you have a wide variety your looking for!
I do have a favorite though. 
And of coarse it's one of the most sought after among collectors, which makes it a rare pattern and expensive to collect.
Mayfair (light) blue is my favorite color in this pattern.
FYI: The dark cobalt blue is a reproduction in this pattern.
I only have three of four of these pieces. 
One of the plates I own was 60 bucks by itself.
This is why I don't have a lot!!!





Just stunning!
Before I rap up my discussion on these fantastic antiques I would like to share a few pics from my wedding shower, where I was able to actually use a lot of my glass!
I held the second of my two showers, at my home.
Just an example of why I LOVE all kinds of patterns and colors mixed up together to set a table.
Breathtaking. 
(I know. I am a corn ball)








Hope you enjoyed your mini lesson on depression glass and a sneak peek of my fab collection.
Maybe some of you guys will understand why I am obsessed with the history and beauty of these lovely historical antiques:)


Happy Saturday LOVES!!!
xoxoxox

love,
kimmie B.