Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Formica LOVE

So this week let's learn a little about FORMICA ...



Formica was invented in 1912 by Daniel J. O'Conor and Herbert A. Faber, then working at Westinghouse.
 They originally conceived it as a substitute for micarta in electrical insulators.
 It is composed of many layers of resin-impregnated kraft paper and topped with a decorative layer protected by melamine, then compressed and cured with heat to make a hard, durable surface.

<Formica comes in every color under the sun>


Here's an old add for Formica tables<3 


PINK FORMICA TABLES...xo:)

Now I have had a deep love for Formica tables since I was a little girl. 
Of course, I was infatuated with the PINK version on these 1940's/1950's beauties.


wahhh! 
...I wish!
But let's be honest...
I have a husband to think about and PINK tables aren't his forte!!!
 lol:)

Growing up my parents collected tons and tons of antiques.
They were always on the look out for a Formica table,
and if you know anything about these certain tables, 
it is nearly impossible to find one in perfect condition.
Usually you find them with a missing chair. 
Sometimes there may be a scratch on the table top or rip in the cushion on the seat. :( 

Back in the 40's/50's Grama used her table and chairs! 
That's where she spent most of her time...
COOKING:)
So obviously these tables and chairs took a beating at times with so much use.
It makes sense.


Now what doesn't make sense to me is
 people are now scrapping these tables for the rare metal...
what a sin. 
To me and many collectors these rare tables are works of art.
(They don't make these tables like they used too!!!
The reproductions are nice but they aren't the REAL DEAL.)
When finding vintage table sets in good to excellent condition, 
they can go any where from 500 to 10000 bucks.
That's a lot of cash!!!
If only the people who scrap these precious tables and chairs knew
what they were destroying!








MY FIND

Last year, Dad and I were antiquing in Greece NY and 
I came across a BEAUTIFUL Formica set.
I nearly passed out with excitement!
Dad knew the rarity of this set and asked me if I wanted it for Dave and my 
Christmas gift this past year.
What do you think my answer was?

Here's a picture of my beautiful set:)
Best gift ever!


Hope you all enjoyed reading a little about Formica tables!
Until next time:)


LoVe,
kimmie b.